In 1906 school functions began in Walthill District 13. Pearl K. Felix was the first teacher with a total of 66 students. The first classes were held in the Presbyterian Church. The seats and desks were planks laid on barrels. The rental of this building for a nine-month school year was $150. The second year classes were held above the Harris Pool Hall, which was the Gambles store. In June of 1907 was the first school board election. Construction of a $8,000 six room brick structure began late in 1907. School started "On the Hill" in September of 1908. By 1911 enrollment had reached 346 and the six rooms were inadequate. A new two-room building was built on the north side of the street from the school grounds, a present site of the Community of Christ Church.
On May 26, 1911 was the first graduation at Walthill where five juniors received diplomas. In 1915 Walthill added a final grade to the curriculum making it the a twelve-year school. Two wings were added to the school the fall of 1917--one to the north and the other to the south. May 26, 1918 was the 5th annual commencement for Walthill, but it was the first year in which a twelve-year curriculum was completed.
In January of 1936 a grant of approximately $18,400 was received to renovate the school. The first school bus was used in 1958. The lunch program was also introduced in 1958. Lunches then were 25 cents. The present gymnasium was built in 1961 and the kitchen was new in 1962. In the fall of 1973 construction of the shop area and garage began which included rooms for the business and drafting. Numerous additions have been made to the shop building. Four high school classrooms were added in 1983 and another six room addition was completed in 1991. In the fall of 1995 the high school moved out to the shop area and the elementary classes primarily filled the main building. In the fall of 1996 the two buildings were networked together and each classroom accessed the Internet. A modular unit was moved in south of the main building in the summer of 1998 that was used for the junior high classes and alternative education. Eight seniors graduated in 2000 to begin the new millennium.
In the fall of 2000 a new modular for the Individual Learning Center was added east of the gym. A new Bus Barn was built on Taft Street and paved parking for the teachers was added south of the high school building. In the spring of 2003 ILC moved to the teacherage. On March 11, 2003 the Wazhinga Ti Zhinga Daycare opened in the modular east of the school. Construction began on the new high school in the spring of 2004, and the completion of the high school building was in 2005.
In the fall of 2012 six-man football was implemented. May of 2013 is when the administrative building was moved in on the south of the alley. Construction for a new gymnasium began July of 2016. Completion date is September 2017. The new gym is being placed on the northeast side of the high school.
||Sam Grant and Mr Ed Stansberry